Ina, Grace & Carrie Patton escape with their lives from burning house in Upper Plenty, 12 June 1913
The things that you find out when you’re a genealogist.
Ina Moorabbe Patton (nee Cocks), with her two youngest children, Ina Grace “Grace” (2 years) & Caroline Francis “Carrie” (6 months) were lucky to escape with their lives on the night of the 12th of June, 1913 when a lamp exploded.
It is assumed that young, 5 year old, Douglas Charles may have been away from the house with his father at the time.
This was actually the eve of Grace’s 2nd birthday, having been born in Heathcote almost 2 years earlier.
The following article is from The Age, 13 Jun 1913
WALLAN. – A new four-roomed weatherboard dwelling,, owned by Mr. Christopher Mahady at Upper Plenty, and occupied by Mr. D. Patton, was burnt to the ground last night, and the whole of the contents consumed. Mr. Patton was absent from home, and Mrs.Patton and two children just had time to escape from the, building in their night attire. It is not yet known whether the house was insured, but there was no insurance on Mr. Patton’s furniture, and they lost everything, even to their clothes. The cause of the fire Is said to be the explosion of a lamp.